Search Blue Hill Helicopters

Thursday, December 17, 2009

You can make it if you work hard.........

Back in 2005 I was working for a small flight school here at Norwood as an Instructor in a Schweizer.

The Owner told me that another Instructor was starting and could I show him around . I was just leaving for the day and walking to my car when a a bald headed guy was walking toward the office with a large duffel bag , I introduced myself and he introduced himself as Mark the new Instructor ! I asked Mark where he was staying that night being new to MA and he said " I dont know, maybe in my car !
















To cut a long story short ,Mark and myself were soon having dinner at my house and thats where he lived for a couple of weeks whilst he settled in .

That was just the start of a career for a newly qualified flight instructor, I soon left and started Blue Hill Helicopters and Mark soon followed. He worked hard at Blue Hill Helicopters as a flight instructor and worked pumping gas at the airport to make Extra money in the early days .In a few months Mark was full time at Blue Hill Helicopters and getting 25 or 30 hours a week in his log book and some valuable Experience teaching both Instrument and VFR students.

Mark soon passed 1100 hours and landed a Job working for Liberty Helicopters in NY City flying tours , he worked a 4 day on and 4 day off schedule and quickly built time in the Eurocopter AS350 .

After our crazy economy went bad Mark was let go from Liberty with 7 other guys as the tour industry was bad and they didn't need as many pilots, He was bummed but began to look for another job , besides he had over 700 hours in the AS350 now and had some useful Turbine time . We all hear about how turbine time is valuable and is the hardest time to get throughout your whole career as a helicopter pilot, once you have it it makes job hunting much easier.



Mark got a Job with Air Methods and soon moved to Ohio with his then girlfriend to fill the position flying EMS in an AS 350. They were not fans of Ohio but Mark loved his Job and quickly got a transfer to West Virginia where he now fly's a Eurocopter EC135 , a very nice twin Engine helicopter , He has reached the top Job now and loves it !

Mark is just one success story of Blue Hill Helicopters and I am certain we will have many more in the coming years , Mark will be visiting us over Christmas so if anybody wants to talk to Mark and get advice on how he made it then Email me at steve@bluehillhelicopters.com he loves giving advice to future pilots and will help in any way he can, Well done Mark from all of us at Blue Hill Helicopters!

Mark will be lucky enough to get married to Rachel next year ,without her support he would have gone crazy in ohio ! I will be lucky enough to be "Best Man" and have some great stories to tell all at the wedding ........



1 comment:

  1. Great time Mark. I am excited to know you actually passed through the ranks. I wish you happy married life and wish to say your wife deserve an HPPL too.
    Mamah franklin ( Nigeria )

    ReplyDelete